Wednesday, August 29, 2018

How To Overcome Writer's Block

Writer's block... Happens to everyone, right? WRONG! It happens to everyone who doesn't know how to deal with it!
 If you're like I used to be, when you get writer's block you either don't write or you move on to a new story. And trust me, unless you write flash fiction, you're not going to finish anything before a bout of writer's block sets in, and no, you won't get back to it like you tell yourself you will.
 I don't do that anymore, however. I've found a few handy ways to get through that funk and on to writing again!

1. Movie Time

  You know when you're watching a movie and then you have to pause it in the middle of an action scene? I don't know about you, but my mind just starts playing out endless possibilities on how that might end... So you know what I did? Can you see this coming?
  When I'm writing a scene and I get stuck partway through, I pretend it's a movie that got paused. I close my eyes, and replayed the scene I just wrote in my head, and even if it doesn't happen on the first try, after a while my mind improvises and gives me something! Sometimes it's really wacky, but even if I have to change it it's better than nothing. 
  I've found this works especially well when I'm trying to sleep and don't have the option of writing it down right then. 

2. What Comes Next? 

  What comes after what you've already got? Did you just finish the fight between siblings, soon followed by a tragic death of one of them? If you can smoothly move right into the death scene, do so! If not, what needs to happen in order for that to happen? Does one need to storm out and drive away? How can you make that happen? 
  If you don't know what's next, you might want to consider making an outline. These can be vague or extremely detailed, but they should give you the basic outline of the story and tell you what comes next after each scene. 
  Anyway, knowing what's next can help give you that insight of where things should be going and how to finish out this impossibly awkward conversation... 

3. Write Something Else

  Does this sound really contrary to something I previously said? Good job if you picked that up! When I say write something else, I don't mean a totally different project. I mean something else in the same project. Like if you're writing chapter 4 but you're really excited for chapter 10, then go ahead and write chapter 10! You're begrudging chapter 4 isn't going to be as good as if you wait until you want to, and you'll want to at some point... 
  So stay in the same project, and be sure to mark where in the story each scene takes place if you're skipping around a lot! But yeah, write what you're excited about, and even if you end up with a bunch of disjointed scenes you can do some editing to make them flow a bit better. As long as you're writing and not getting distracted by other projects/activities, you're good! 

4. Watch Some Videos

  This is a pretty controversial topic from what I've heard... But it works for me! I like to watch videos about writing; the process, editing, tips, funny videos, extremely opinionated videos... As long as they relate to writing! 
  I personally get inspired by just hearing about writing and proceed to want to just do it... Although, from what I've heard, some people hear tips and think about all that they were previously doing wrong, and either don't feel motivated or want to edit instead of write new words. So whichever category you think you fall into, do what's best for you! 

5. Common Sense

  Use some common sense with all this... You're only human. Have you been writing for hours on end? Under a lot of stress? Not sleeping enough? 
  If this is the case... Take a break. Go do something fun, unwind, relax! Nobody writes well when they're tired and stressed, so unless you have literally no choice, take a break sometimes. Live life. It's been proven to help your writing a lot to go out and do stuff! I mean, can you accurately write a kiss if you've never kissed someone? Especially if you're like me and think, ew gross? (Don't just go out and experience stuff because you're book characters are! It won't feel as real that way, unless you're skydiving! Plus, you have a life outside of writing... Live it.) 
  Also, just as with any other thing, you do need a break. Even a small one. You'll love writing more if you don't force yourself to write constantly. And you write because you love it, right? So don't make yourself hate it by overworking! 
  (Don't use this as an excuse or you'll never get anything done. Common sense, not excuses.)

There are my tips for avoiding writer's block! I hope you find them helpful! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This was so helpful... I've been trying to find a way to help my writers block and I was browsing some stories and quizzes when someone pointed me to this website. This has been amazing and now hopefully I can finish the story I've been writing for almost 2 in half years.

    ReplyDelete