Saturday, November 10, 2018

My Current Story Writing Crisis...

  This isn't a tip post, a funny post, nothing like that. This is a post about my thought process as I doubt everything I've done, what I want to do with my book, everything. Mostly, this is just me trying to get my thoughts onto paper so I can look at them and make a good decision. However, as most problems are not unique to a single human being, maybe this will help someone out there...


The Whole Mess... Beautiful Mess, But Mess All The Same. 

  So basically, I wrote the novel. Twice. The first time I wrote it in Sabrina's POV (Point of view, for idiots like past me who had no idea what that meant) and honestly it sucked. Grammar was atrocious, storytelling was off, I could go on a whole rant on this... In fact, I already have, here's the link
  The second time, the most recent time, I wrote Jamie's POV in as well. So now we've got both Jamie and Sabrina as main characters, however, I don't think it's working. The whole book is fine up until the end, when spoilers that I cannot say happen, and I realize that nobody's going to have much motivation to read book 2. That could be fixed if I took Jamie's POV out of the book... But there's a reason I put his POV in there in the first place! 
   I could only use Jamie's POV, but I don't know if that would fix the ending problem... I could come up with a new ending, but that would include rewriting the last 1/4 of the book and having to create a totally different book 2. His POV is honestly much more interesting, and he's used to create a "pink-filter" (Apparently I made that term up, I have no idea if I did or not, but every time I bring it up nobody has any idea what I mean, so yeah.) for Bree. I personally dislike Bree, she's just not a relatable character to me. I love some of her lines and her sense of humor, but I just don't like her as the only POV character. So I use the pink-filter to see her through the love-struck lense of Jamie's eyes, therefore making her more likable. She sucks without him in multiple ways. 
  So using Sabrina as the only POV character would make the ending so much better, but would the rest of the book suffer for it? Is it just me who dislikes her, or is she crap? I've already changed her, as in name, personality, background, everything. And I still don't like her. 
  So what on earth do I do with this? The lazy part of me is saying to just leave it and hope people want to read book 2, which is a viable option, but I know the book could be better than that. The logical side is saying to cut Jamie out of the book because my biggest problem with Bree is my emotions getting in the way. Suck it up and rewrite the darn thing again! Then my emotional side, saying to totally use Jamie as the POV character because his POV is more interesting, I love writing about him more, and he doesn't even need to be a pink-filter if we only know Bree through him. 
  AND. THIS PAID OFF. 
  That last sentence there reminded me of something I told my Dad to do when he didn't know what to work on... "Do what you love, the project you won't go crazy on if you spend two years on it. That'll make it come out better, the love shines through, and chances are that someone else will have the same interest." 
  So Jamie's POV it is... Because I like writing his POV. This will turn out amazing because I'll love every second and every word of it! Woohoo!! Bree will be more likable, I'll find a way to make a more compelling ending,  the story will be more interesting and all, and I won't go crazy writing it. 
  I'm gonna let this decision sit overnight... Because oftentimes my emotional decisions aren't the most logical (See for reference: Decision to buy $20.00 shirt when I just barely had enough money to buy dance classes for the month, which is not optional. Now I need $16, without a job. Go me.)


  Anyways, if you made it to the end, thank you! Here's my tip... Rant. Talk it out, write it out, even if you have no audience, getting it out of your head helps A LOT.  Feel free to say it to me, I'll give feedback if you want. Thanks again for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment